Susanne van de Pest
Susanne has been involved in civil real estate since the very beginning of her legal career in 2002. Within this realm she has specialized in tenancy law and civil construction law. In 2009 she followed the Tenancy Law specialization course at the Association of Tenancy Law Lawyers (Vereniging van Huurrecht Advocaten). Susanne is an expert on common legal issues related to tenancy law and is particularly well equipped to answer legal questions involving the rental of offices and other business spaces. On top of this Susanne has experienced all facets of civil construction law (RAW, UAV, UAV-GC) in the past 15 years and has regularly litigated in both civil courts as well as in arbitration cases (Arbitration Board for Construction, International Chamber of Commerce ICC).
She is particularly interested in situations where tenancy law and construction law interact with each other, such as in disputes between tenants and landlords revolving around defects in recently constructed rental property. Susanne also has a keen interest for developments in the realm of sustainable construction and sustainable energy (solar panels, indoor climate) as well as the consequences of such development for both tenants and landlords.
Susanne’s internationally oriented legal practice is expanding. She frequently advises foreign parties engaged in construction and real estate projects on (cross-border) issues in the field of rental and / or construction law. Clients appreciate her legal expertise, commitment and the ease with which she creates an agreeable working atmosphere. She is practical, result-oriented and has a good eye for the interests of the parties involved.
Susanne teaches at the Dutch Institute for Construction Law (Instituut voor Bouwrecht), gives lectures and regularly publishes on topics within her legal fields.
Areas of Expertise
Liability and litigation
Examples illustrating Susanne’s experience:
- Litigated for a lessor in a roof-collapse case involving millions of euros in compensation;
- Litigated for a project developer in a case involving the lessees’ post-delivery failures to meet their contractual obligations;
- Advised a dredging company on the termination of various lease agreements;
- Advised an institution on the termination of the lease for a GSM installation;
- In the Construction Arbitration Tribunal, litigated on the dissolution of a UAV-GC contract;
- In the International Chamber of Commerce, litigated in a million-euro claim regarding the expansion of a Caribbean oil refinery;
- Collected on claims and executed attachments for a construction consortium;
- In a summary proceedings motion in the civil courts, litigated for a developer on the double sale of a parcel of land;
- In the International Chamber of Commerce, litigated for a general contractor on the fire safety of building façade cladding and related repair costs;
- In the Construction Arbitration Tribunal, litigated for a contractor on the issue of additional work and pre-completion termination in a case relating to dredging specifications.
'Rising star' in Legal 500 EMEA 2020 Construction: ‘Susanne van de Pest is a seasoned practitioner and a real team player. Very pleasant to work with.‘
- Legal 500 2020 Construction (Tier 3): "Van der Feltz Advocaten has a strong procurement and construction law team, which often works in conjunction with the firm's environmental, planning, and energy departments to meet a wide range of project-related needs.";
- Legal 500 2020 Real Estate (Tier 4): “…The team at Van der Feltz Advocaten provides 'accurate and compelling advice'. It has 'very broad knowledge of both civil and public building law', leading to instructions from clients including developers, investors, construction companies, international organizations, and particularly municipalities and provinces.”;
- PropertyNL's Top-60 Real estate lawyers;
- Who’s Who Legal Future Leader Construction 2020: WWL states: "Susanne van de Pest "quickly reaches the heart of the matter and has immediately a thorough overall picture of the issue" according to an impressed client."
- Member of the Dutch Association of Tenancy Lawyers
- Member of the Dutch Association of Construction Lawyers
- Member of the DAA Construction Law Committee (Dutch Arbitration Association)
- Member of the Dutch Association of Real Estate Lawyers
|Jan Borman, Susanne van de Pest||Noot bij Raad van Arbitrage van de Bouw 6 augustus 2020, nr. 36.954 (Aannemingsovereenkomst. Andersluidende betalingsafspraken overeengekomen? Tekortkoming aanneemster door ten onrechte stilleggen werk.||Bouwrecht (BR), december, afl. 12, BR 2020/98|
|Susanne van de Pest||Gebrekkig binnenklimaat (revisited): is het nog steeds altijd te koud of te warm in het gehuurde?||Tijdschrift voor Huurrecht Bedrijfsruimte (TvHB), april 2019, Afl. 2, TvHB 2019/2|
senior associatePauline van Aardenne
junior associateJan Borman
junior associateDelila Fejzović
junior associateLynn Kombrink
senior associateRonald Olivier
senior associateSusanne van de Pest
junior associateJuliëtte de Rijk
partnerMichelle de Rijke
junior associateIndira Stolze
associateNikky van Triet
junior associateFrancine van Vlijmen
junior associateRosa van der Velde
partnerWillem Van der Werf
senior associateMark West
Manager Business Development, Marketing & CommunicationsBeatrijs van Selm