Jacques Sluysmans' expertise encompasses civil law, administrative law and (economic) criminal law. Because of the particularly broad scope of his practice, he is able to view and assess multi-faceted problems in their entirety. This ensures short lines of communication with clients, an integrated approach and a tight grip on legal costs.
He advises and litigates on both private law and public law matters, often operating in the interface between these two. His practice has a particular focus on liability and energy law. He also supports his clients with legislative projects, advising them on how and to what extent proposed legislation may influence their businesses. He assists them with developing and pursuing a strategy that will help lead to acceptable legislation and regulations.
Jacques obtained his PhD in Law from Leiden University in 2011. In addition to his private practice, he has been a professor of expropriation law at Radboud University Nijmegen since 2013. The cross-pollination of his legal practice with his academic role yields useful and invaluable insights for his clients.
Jacques is also active as a binding advisor and as an arbitrator for the NAI and others. He is the chairman of the Zuydasdok Compensation Committee, the chairman of the Construction Law Association, the chairman of the Expropriation Law Association. He is also a member of the Advisory Council of the Association of Young Real Estate Lawyers and the International Expert Group on Expropriation.
- (Sustainable) energy
- Industrial sector
Areas of expertise
- Land acquisition and exploitation
- Liability and damages
- Supreme Court litigation
Here are some examples of Jacque’s experience:
- He has litigated many cases in the lower courts, the appellate courts and the Supreme Court on matters relating to government liability law, including Pannenkoekenhuis De Kabouter, Direks/Venray, Fabricom/Staat and Van Zoggel/Den Bosch;
- He has assisted various courts as chairman of the committee of court-appointed experts charged with advising the court on the extent of compensation for expropriation;
- He has assisted various parties in short-term and long-term proceedings concerning the expropriation of the securities and assets of SNS Bank and SNS Reaal;
- He has assisted various manufacturing companies in criminal proceedings relating to environmental incidents and issues concerning the 2015 Major Accidents Decree (Brzo 2015);
- Jacques is counsel for a large number of water companies, whom he assists in both administrative and private law matters;
- He was involved in all parliamentary surveys that took place under the 2008 Parliamentary Survey Act, and was indeed the only lawyer in the Netherlands to do so;
- He advises and litigates on behalf of a large number of energy companies regarding the proposed exploration or exploitation of oil and gas, both onshore and offshore.
- Chambers Europe 2020: Public Law: Band 3, Planning & Environment: Band 2: "Clients praise the team's ability to provide "feasible advice," and highlight that the lawyers "can understand our way of work."
- Legal 500 2020 Environment and Planning (Tier 1): “Clients praise Sluysmans for being 'very knowledgeable in his field of expertise'. Client testimonial: ‘Firm’s partner Jacques Sluysmans advised us on 2 regulation of ownership cases. He is very knowledgeable in his field of expertise‘.
- Legal 500 2020 Energy: Regulatory (Tier 2) The team provides assistance to clients in relation to the regulatory aspects in energy projects and offers particular expertise in the renewable energy sector. Jacques Sluysmans, who is recognised for his expertise regarding pipeline issues, and Michelle de Rijke, who has deep regulatory energy experience jointly lead the practice;
Legal 500 2020 Construction (Tier 3): "Van der Feltz Advocaten has a strong procurement and construction law team, which often works in conjunction with the firm's environmental, planning, and energy departments to meet a wide range of project-related needs."
Legal 500 2020 Real Estate (Tier 4): “…The team at Van der Feltz Advocaten provides 'accurate and compelling advice'. It has 'very broad knowledge of both civil and public building law', leading to instructions from clients including developers, investors, construction companies, international organisations, and particularly municipalities and provinces."
- Binding advisor and arbitrator for the NAI and others
- Chairman of the Zuydasdok Compensation Committee
- Chairman of the Construction Law Association
- Chairman of the Expropriation Law Association
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Association of Young Real Estate Lawyers
- Member of the International Expert Group on Expropriation
|Jacques Sluysmans||Oplegging gedoogplicht ten behoeve van aanleg en instandhouding windturbines.||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), maart, afl. 3, TBR 2020/38|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Wijzigingen van het onteigeningsrecht onder de Omgevingswet||Tijdschrift voor Agrarisch Recht (TvAR), augustus, nr. 7/8, TvAR 2019/15717|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Nikky van Triet||De bevoegdhedenovereenkomst bij de civiele rechter en de bestuursrechter. Vertrouwen op inspanningsverplichtingen||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), februari 2019, Nr. 2, TBR 2019/18|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Brim Tonino||Noot bij EHRM 16 januari 2018, ECLI:CE:ECHR:2018:0116DEC002261215 (Onteigening, Belastingheffing over schadeloosstelling)||Sdu European Human Right Cases (EHRC), 2018, Afl. 2018, EHRC 2018/98|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Noot bij Conclusie van het Parket bij de Hoge Raad 25 maart 2016, ECLI:NL:PHR:2016:164||Werkelijk van waarde, Annotaties bij conclusies van mr. J.C. van Oven, Den Haag: IBR 2018|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Recht en literatuur: Jaarrede uitgesproken op 7 december 2017 tijdens de jaarvergadering van de Vereniging voor Bouwrecht||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), maart 2018, Nr. 3, TBR 2018/37|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Noot bij EHRM 19 januari 2017, ECLI:CE:ECHR:2017:0119JUD003237712 (Onteigening. Verlies reëel gebruiksgenot. Verlies vergunning en productiemiddelen. Geen compensatie. Geen ‘fair balance’)||European Human Rights Cases (EHRC), mei 2017, Afl. 5, EHRC 2017/84|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Redeloze regeldrift: Jaarrede uitgesproken op 16 december 2016 tijdens de jaarvergadering van de Vereniging voor Bouwrecht||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), maart 2017, Nr. 3, TBR 2017/43|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Ruben Wiegerink||Onteigenen volgens de Omgevingswet: fundamentele kritiek op een fundamentele herziening||De Gemeentestem (Gst.), september 2016, Afl. 7443, Gst. 2016/111|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Ruben Wiegerink||Reactie op reactie Van der Veen||De Gemeentestem (Gst.), september 2016, Afl. 7443, Gst. 2016/121|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Onteigening in de Aanvullingswet grondeigendom||Nederlands Juristenblad (NJB), juli 2016, Afl. 28, NJB 2016/1393|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Het recht van eendenkooi||Ars Aequi (AA), juni 2016, Nr. 6, AA 2016/6|
|Jacques Sluysmans||De molenaar van Sanssouci||Column Radboud Universiteit, Faculteit der Rechtsgeleerdheid, 10 juni 2016|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Nikky van Triet||Compensatie van waardevermindering bij energieprojecten||Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Energierecht (NTE), juni 2016, Nr. 2, NTE 2016/2|
|Willem Bosma, Jacques Sluysmans, Nikky van Triet||The Rule of Law: Protection of property||‘The rule of law: Protection of property’, in: Research handbook on crisis management in the banking sector, Edward Elgar Publishing 2015, p. 379-399|
senior associatePauline van Aardenne
junior associateJan Borman
junior associateDelila Fejzović
junior associateLynn Kombrink
senior associateRonald Olivier
senior associateSusanne van de Pest
junior associateJuliëtte de Rijk
partnerMichelle de Rijke
junior associateIndira Stolze
associateNikky van Triet
junior associateFrancine van Vlijmen
paralegalRosa van der Velde
partnerWillem Van der Werf
senior associateMark West
office managerMarja van der Hulst
Manager Business Development, Marketing & CommunicationsBeatrijs van Selm