Jacques Sluysmans' expertise encompasses civil law, administrative law and (economic) criminal law. Because of the particularly broad scope of his practice, he is able to view and assess multi-faceted problems in their entirety. This ensures short lines of communication with clients, an integrated approach and a tight grip on legal costs.
He advises and litigates on both private law and public law matters, often operating in the interface between these two. His practice has a particular focus on liability and energy law. He also supports his clients with legislative projects, advising them on how and to what extent proposed legislation may influence their businesses. He assists them with developing and pursuing a strategy that will help lead to acceptable legislation and regulations.
Jacques obtained his PhD in Law from Leiden University in 2011. In addition to his private practice, he has been a professor of expropriation law at Radboud University Nijmegen since 2013. The cross-pollination of his legal practice with his academic role yields useful and invaluable insights for his clients.
Jacques is also active as a binding advisor and as an arbitrator for the NAI and others. He is the chairman of the Construction Law Association, the chairman of the Expropriation Law Association. He is a Member of the Assessment Committee for the Laying and Mooring Rights Platform ('Platform Leg- en Ligrechten'), a member of the Advisory Council of the Association of Young Real Estate Lawyers and the Expert Group on Expropriation, a member of the board of supervisors of the Royal Dutch Walking Association, member of the board of supervisors of the Historical Museum of the Hague and the Prison Gate Museum, board member of Firma Mes.
- (Sustainable) energy
- Industrial sector
Areas of expertise
- Land acquisition and exploitation
- Liability and damages
- Supreme Court litigation
Here are some examples of Jacques' experience:
- He has litigated many cases in the lower courts, the appellate courts and the Supreme Court on matters relating to government liability law, including Pannenkoekenhuis De Kabouter, Direks/Venray, Fabricom/Staat and Van Zoggel/Den Bosch;
- He has assisted various courts as chairman of the committee of court-appointed experts charged with advising the court on the extent of compensation for expropriation;
- He is the chairman of the Zuidasdok Compensation Committee;
- He has assisted various manufacturing companies in criminal proceedings relating to environmental incidents and issues concerning the 2015 Major Accidents Decree (Brzo 2015);
- Jacques is counsel for a large number of water companies, whom he assists in both administrative and private law matters;
- He was involved in all parliamentary surveys that took place under the 2008 Parliamentary Survey Act, and was indeed the only lawyer in the Netherlands to do so;
- He advises and litigates on behalf of a large number of energy companies regarding the proposed exploration or exploitation of oil and gas, both onshore and offshore.
- Chambers Europe 2021: Public Law: Band 3, Planning & Environment: Band 2: "Strengths: Reflecting on the firm's increasing market presence, one interviewee says: 'Van der Feltz advocaten has a very impressive practice' , before concluding: 'The team has got itself established very nicely.'"
- Legal 500 2021 Environment and Planning (Tier 1): Testimonials: ‘My absolute favourite is Jacques Sluymans because I have worked with him for 10 years and he has never let us down.’ ‘Collaboration between us and the lawyers is very good.’ Van der Feltz is efficient, and provides short explanations with a clear answer.’ ‘Employees are of a high level with a large network.'
- Legal 500 2021 Energy: Regulatory (Tier 2): 'Jacques Sluysmans is knowledgeable about the market of cables and pipelines. He co-heads the practice with Michelle de Rijke, who has a strong focus on energy transition matters.' 'Excellent knowledge of energy law, they give good advice.’ ‘Personal relationship, very customer-oriented, not only advice on demand, but also providing new information.'
- Legal 500 2021 Construction (Tier 3): 'Approachable law firm with high expertise in contracting.’ ‘Dedicated to getting the job done within the boundaries of the assignment.’
Legal 500 2021 Real Estate (Tier 4): ‘Van der Feltz is a good business partner.' ‘Their service is more than adequate and always in time.’
- Binding advisor and arbitrator for the NAI and others
- Chairman of the Construction Law Association
- Chairman of the Expropriation Law Association
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Association of Young Real Estate Lawyers
- Member of the Expert Group on Expropriation
|Denise Krijvenaar, Jacques Sluysmans||Graafschade sinds mei 2020: alle ballen op de grondroerder||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), juli 2020, Nr. 7, TBR 2020/89|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Oplegging gedoogplicht ten behoeve van aanleg en instandhouding windturbines.||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), maart, afl. 3, TBR 2020/38|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Wijzigingen van het onteigeningsrecht onder de Omgevingswet||Tijdschrift voor Agrarisch Recht (TvAR), augustus, nr. 7/8, TvAR 2019/15717|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Nikky van Triet||De bevoegdhedenovereenkomst bij de civiele rechter en de bestuursrechter. Vertrouwen op inspanningsverplichtingen||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), februari 2019, Nr. 2, TBR 2019/18|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Brim Tonino||Noot bij EHRM 16 januari 2018, ECLI:CE:ECHR:2018:0116DEC002261215 (Onteigening, Belastingheffing over schadeloosstelling)||Sdu European Human Right Cases (EHRC), 2018, Afl. 2018, EHRC 2018/98|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Noot bij Conclusie van het Parket bij de Hoge Raad 25 maart 2016, ECLI:NL:PHR:2016:164||Werkelijk van waarde, Annotaties bij conclusies van mr. J.C. van Oven, Den Haag: IBR 2018|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Recht en literatuur: Jaarrede uitgesproken op 7 december 2017 tijdens de jaarvergadering van de Vereniging voor Bouwrecht||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), maart 2018, Nr. 3, TBR 2018/37|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Noot bij EHRM 19 januari 2017, ECLI:CE:ECHR:2017:0119JUD003237712 (Onteigening. Verlies reëel gebruiksgenot. Verlies vergunning en productiemiddelen. Geen compensatie. Geen ‘fair balance’)||European Human Rights Cases (EHRC), mei 2017, Afl. 5, EHRC 2017/84|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Redeloze regeldrift: Jaarrede uitgesproken op 16 december 2016 tijdens de jaarvergadering van de Vereniging voor Bouwrecht||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), maart 2017, Nr. 3, TBR 2017/43|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Ruben Wiegerink||Onteigenen volgens de Omgevingswet: fundamentele kritiek op een fundamentele herziening||De Gemeentestem (Gst.), september 2016, Afl. 7443, Gst. 2016/111|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Ruben Wiegerink||Reactie op reactie Van der Veen||De Gemeentestem (Gst.), september 2016, Afl. 7443, Gst. 2016/121|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Onteigening in de Aanvullingswet grondeigendom||Nederlands Juristenblad (NJB), juli 2016, Afl. 28, NJB 2016/1393|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Het recht van eendenkooi||Ars Aequi (AA), juni 2016, Nr. 6, AA 2016/6|
|Jacques Sluysmans||De molenaar van Sanssouci||Column Radboud Universiteit, Faculteit der Rechtsgeleerdheid, 10 juni 2016|
|Jacques Sluysmans, Nikky van Triet||Compensatie van waardevermindering bij energieprojecten||Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Energierecht (NTE), juni 2016, Nr. 2, NTE 2016/2|
senior associatePauline van Aardenne
junior associateJan Borman
junior associateAdinda de Jonge
junior associateDenise Krijvenaar
senior associateRonald Olivier
senior associate in the areas of leasing law and construction lawSusanne van de Pest
partnerMichelle de Rijke
associateNikky van Triet
junior associateRosa van der Velde
partnerWillem Van der Werf
senior associateMark West
Manager Business Development, Marketing & CommunicationsBeatrijs van Selm