The demand for energy is set to rise even further during the coming years. At the same time, all kinds of questions arise on how to manage the transition from fossil energy to sustainable energy. Laws and regulations need to be harmonized with agreements made on these issues at a global level.
Our team of lawyers has wide-ranging specialist knowledge of and experience in the energy sector to help answer these questions from a legal point of view. Our expertise extends across the entire spectrum of energy law, from exploration, production and transmission to the distribution and supply of energy.
We assist not only parties in the private sector such as developers, contractors, the chemical industry and other industries, but also government bodies, municipalities and utility companies.
One aspect of our work is advising parties on projects for generating energy from sustainable sources, such as the sun, wind, geothermy, hydrogen, biomass. These projects need space, and it is here that spatial planning law and environmental law play a crucial role.
We are also involved in projects developing new energy infrastructure, both above ground (cables, pipelines, plants) and underground (cables, pipelines, storage of gas and CO2) and advise our clients on licensing procedures for large industrial plants. Sustainability plays an important role in all these areas. Our team also has particular expertise in the licensing procedure for gas extraction.
Advising a leading corporation in the energy field on the acquisition on several onshore wind farms in the Netherlands
Advising an offshore wind company on the feasibility of new off shore wind energy regulations providing for combined permit procedures for both the construction and operation of wind farms and the production of hydrogen
Advising an energy multinational on hydrogen EU regulations for the purpose of their participation in ambitious hydrogen initiatives
Advising a consortium of a water company, grid company, and municipality on their joint development of a large scale cooling and heating system based on drinking-waterpipes for the supply of a new housing project with regard to the energy law issues such as the ownership of the infrastructure, connection and distribution agreements and governance.
Advising a national grid operator on the main legal requirements for compliance with the administrative competences of authorities regarding unexploded ordnance measures off shore for placement of cables in the North Sea
Advising a German utility company on the structuring options for its onshore, nearshore and offshore wind farms in the Netherlands
What others say about us
- Chambers Europe 2022 Energy & Natural Resources: Regulatory, Band 3
- Legal 500 2021 Energy: Regulatory (Tier 2): "Van der Feltz Advocaten's team, which has ‘excellent knowledge of energy law’, is sought out for advice on planning, permitting, tariff regulation, CO₂ emissions and the environmental issues of energy projects."
- Ranked in Who’s who Legal Global Guide 2021 Energy- Oil & Gas, Power/Electricity, Renewables:"Michelle de Rijke is a notable name in the Dutch market, endorsed for her impressive experience within the energy sector which spans over 20 years."
- Leading Individual, Legal 500 2021, Energy, Regulatory: 'Michelle de Rijke not only has a very good knowledge of the subject matters at stake, but also has a widespread network of people within the regulatory scope that helps to solve matters.’ ‘Michelle de Rijke is very knowledgeable, pleasant to work with and has a lot of experience.’ ‘Michelle de Rijke is always very pleasant to work with, respectful and patient.’
- Ranked Lawyer, Chambers Europe 2022 Energy & Natural resources, Regulatory (Band 2): "She has very good practical experience in the energy market and the regulatory frame thereof, and has very useful contacts in the field of energy."