Marc Houweling is a highly knowledgeable lawyer in Real Estate and Construction matters and driven by passion for making his clients’ projects and developments a success.
Being one of the younger partners in the Dutch market – and the youngest of our firm – as a fast-paced multitasker he stands out from the crowd, not only by his energetic and unconventional approach to cases but also by his dedication to meet his clients’ objectives and skills in getting deals done. He is a total team player and being a new generation lawyer himself, he has a good sense of the next generations’ mindset and needs which gives the team a real strength in depth.
Marc handles a mixture of contentious and non-contentious work for developers, investors, construction companies, international organisations, (local) government, water companies and others involved in Construction and Real Estate projects. Marc’s practice has an emphasis on housing and infrastructure developments. His knowledge of all aspects of (public) procurement-, lease-, property- and construction law, allows him to look at the bigger picture and to give practical and commercial advice tailored to the needs of his clients’ businesses. He has extensive experience in legal contract- and claims management of major projects, from both client’s as well as contractor’s perspective.
Furthermore, Marc has a no-nonsense approach to litigation and arbitration, giving him real gravitas in the sector.
He publishes articles and case notes relating to his expertise in Dutch law journals on a regular basis. He also lectures on various topics relating to his practice, both in-house and at a number of educational institutions. Marc studied law in Leiden, The Netherlands (civil- and corporate law) and in Boston, United States of America (American law) and worked some time outside of The Netherlands, being convinced travelling and working abroad gives a true boost to blue sky thinking.
- (Sustainable) energy
- Industrial sector
- Real Estate
Areas of expertise:
- Advising and successfully representing a water company in summary proceedings regarding a procurement dispute relating to building materials;
- Advising and representing a contractor on the development of and (additional work) claims regarding to a new build 5* star hotel in Amsterdam, The Netherlands;
- Advising a developer on the multi-use development of a landmark in The Netherlands and representing the party in various landlord-tenant litigation cases;
- Advising a developing contractor regarding the urban development of housing in Amsterdam, The Netherlands;
- Advising and representing a security company in a series of procurement (summary proceedings and appeal) cases relating to public transport and infrastructure;
- Advising an international organisation on the development of its new 80.000 m2 headquarters in The Netherlands, including advice relating to tenders regarding maintenance- and consultancy contracts;
- Advising multiple contractors on the realisation of rail (related) infrastructure throughout The Netherlands;
- As a pro bono initiative Marc successfully represented a large group of claimants in proceedings and negotiations (through mediation) in a substantive leasehold matter against one of the G5 Municipalities;
- Advising a water company on construction- and development documentation regarding the creation of two (industrial) water plants;
- Advising and representing a municipality in various landlord-tenant litigation cases in its central station area;
- Advising a contractor on the documentation (including Design and Build agreement, securities- and financing agreements) of a contractor on the development of student and youth housing in Amsterdam;
- Advising and representing a major printer supplier in summary proceedings regarding a procurement dispute against the State of The Netherlands.
- Legal 500 2019 Real Estate (Tier 4): “…Hague-based specialist firm Van der Feltz Advocaten handles real estate, construction and all connected areas such as zoning and environmental issues and related disputes (…) Marc Houweling, Willem Bosma and Willem van der Werf are noted team members…”;
PropertyNL’s 2018 top 40 Real Estate Lawyers;
Legal 500 2019 Environment and Planning (Tier 1): “…Van der Feltz Advocaten is recommended not only for its 'up-to-date knowledge' but also for its 'honest advice and friendly manner'. It offers an impressive range of expertise across permitting, environmental, zoning and health and safety issues in respect of constructions…”;
- Member of the Dutch Association for Construction Law (VBR)
- Member of the Dutch Association of Construction Lawyers (VBR-A)
- Member of the Dutch Association of Procurement Law (NVvA)
- Member of the Dutch Association of Real Estate Lawyers (VVJ)
- NLingenieurs’ Economics and Law Committee
Field of expertise:
Pauline van Aardenne
Susanne van de Pest
ParalegalJuliëtte de Rijk
Michelle de Rijke
Nikky van Triet
Francine van Vlijmen
Willem Van der Werf
Marja van der Hulst
Beatrijs van Selm