Jacques Sluysmans' expertise encompasses civil law, administrative law and (economic) criminal law. Because of the particularly broad scope of his practice, he is able to view and assess multi-faceted problems in their entirety. This ensures short lines of communication with clients, an integrated approach and a tight grip on legal costs.
He advises and litigates on both private law and public law matters, often operating in the interface between these two. His practice has a particular focus on liability and energy law. He also supports his clients with legislative projects, advising them on how and to what extent proposed legislation may influence their businesses. He assists them with developing and pursuing a strategy that will help lead to acceptable legislation and regulations.
Jacques obtained his PhD in Law from Leiden University in 2011. In addition to his private practice, he has been a professor of expropriation law at Radboud University Nijmegen since 2013. The cross-pollination of his legal practice with his academic role yields useful and invaluable insights for his clients.
Jacques is also active as a binding advisor and as an arbitrator for the NAI and others. He is the chairman of the Zuydasdok Compensation Committee, the chairman of the Construction Law Association, the chairman of the Expropriation Law Association. He is also a member of the Advisory Council of the Association of Young Real Estate Lawyers and the International Expert Group on Expropriation.
- (Sustainable) energy
- Industrial sector
Areas of expertise
- Land acquisition and exploitation
- Liability and damages
- Supreme Court litigation
Here are some examples of Jacque’s experience:
- He has litigated many cases in the lower courts, the appellate courts and the Supreme Court on matters relating to government liability law, including Pannenkoekenhuis De Kabouter, Direks/Venray, Fabricom/Staat and Van Zoggel/Den Bosch;
- He has assisted various courts as chairman of the committee of court-appointed experts charged with advising the court on the extent of compensation for expropriation;
- He has assisted various parties in short-term and long-term proceedings concerning the expropriation of the securities and assets of SNS Bank and SNS Reaal;
- He has assisted various manufacturing companies in criminal proceedings relating to environmental incidents and issues concerning the 2015 Major Accidents Decree (Brzo 2015);
- Jacques is counsel for a large number of water companies, whom he assists in both administrative and private law matters;
- He was involved in all parliamentary surveys that took place under the 2008 Parliamentary Survey Act, and was indeed the only lawyer in the Netherlands to do so;
- He advises and litigates on behalf of a large number of energy companies regarding the proposed exploration or exploitation of oil and gas, both onshore and offshore.
- Chambers Europe 2020: Public Law: Band 3, Planning & Environment: Band 2: "Clients praise the team's ability to provide "feasible advice," and highlight that the lawyers "can understand our way of work."
- Legal 500 2020 Environment and Planning (Tier 1): “Clients praise Sluysmans for being 'very knowledgeable in his field of expertise'. Client testimonial: ‘Firm’s partner Jacques Sluysmans advised us on 2 regulation of ownership cases. He is very knowledgeable in his field of expertise‘.
- Legal 500 2020 Energy: Regulatory (Tier 2) The team provides assistance to clients in relation to the regulatory aspects in energy projects and offers particular expertise in the renewable energy sector. Jacques Sluysmans, who is recognised for his expertise regarding pipeline issues, and Michelle de Rijke, who has deep regulatory energy experience jointly lead the practice;
Legal 500 2020 Construction (Tier 3): "Van der Feltz Advocaten has a strong procurement and construction law team, which often works in conjunction with the firm's environmental, planning, and energy departments to meet a wide range of project-related needs."
Legal 500 2020 Real Estate (Tier 4): “…The team at Van der Feltz Advocaten provides 'accurate and compelling advice'. It has 'very broad knowledge of both civil and public building law', leading to instructions from clients including developers, investors, construction companies, international organisations, and particularly municipalities and provinces."
- Binding advisor and arbitrator for the NAI and others
- Chairman of the Zuydasdok Compensation Committee
- Chairman of the Construction Law Association
- Chairman of the Expropriation Law Association
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Association of Young Real Estate Lawyers
- Member of the International Expert Group on Expropriation
|Jacques Sluysmans, Nikky van Triet||Reclaiming Property: Changes of Purpose or Non-realization of Public Purpose aft||Rethinking Expropriation Law I: Public Interest in Expropriation, Eleven International Publishing 2015, p.185-207|
|Jacques Sluysmans||The Principle of Good Governance in Expropriation Law||Rethinking Expropriation Law II: Context, Criteria, and Consequences of Expropriation, Eleven International Publishing 2015, p. 299-314|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Verleden en toekomst van de deskundige in het onteigeningsrecht||Overheid & Aansprakelijkheid (O&A), december 2015, Afl. 4, O&A 2015/89|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Noot bij Afdeling Bestuursrechtspraak Raad van State 12 augustus 2015, ECLI:NL:RVS:2015:2592 (Gedoogbeschikking. Vorderen belangen redelijkerwijs onteigening? Artikel 1 EP)||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), november 2015, Nr. 11, TBR 2015/179|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Noot bij Hoge Raad 14 augustus 2015, ECLI:NL:HR:2015:2195 (Benoeming derde. Overneming geding door eigenaar/erfgenamen)||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), november 2015, Nr. 11, TBR 2015/180|
|Jacques Sluysmans||De reikwijdte van het verschoningsrecht||Advocatenblad, november 2015, Nr. 11, p. 22-24|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Mastermonografie onteigeningsrecht||Mastermonografieën staats- en bestuursrecht, Deventer: Kluwer 2015|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Kamperveen, Kootwijkerbroek en het recht in film||Tijdschrift voor Agrarisch Recht (TvAR), juli/augustus 2015, Nr. 7/8, TvAR 2015/7/8, UDH:TvAR/12387|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Noot bij Hoge Raad 6 maart 2015, ECLI:NL:HR:2015:523 (Bedenkingen tegen deskundigen. Rechtstreekse schade? Waardevermindering van het overblijvende)||Tijdschrift voor Bouwrecht (TBR), augustus 2015, Nr. 8, TBR 2015/134|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Open brief aan de nieuwe Minister van Justitie||Nederlands Juristenblad (NJB), maart 2015, Afl. 11, NJB 2015/546|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Boekbespreking: S.C. Loeffen, Parlementair onderzoek; Een studie van het onderzoeksrecht in Nederland, het Verenigd Koninkrijk en de Verenigde Staten, diss., door prof. mr. J.A.M.A. Sluysmans||Rechtsgeleerd Magazijn Themis (RMThemis), december 2013, Nr. 6, RMThemis 2013/8590|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Gedogen getoetst||Land- en tuinbouwbulletin (LTB), september 2013, Afl. 9, pag. 7-8|
|Jacques Sluysmans||De interventiewet en de SNS-onteigening||Maandblad voor Vermogensrecht (MvV), augustus 2013, Nr. 7/8, MvV 2013/7.6|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Recht op onteigening - Inaugurale rede door Prof. Mr. J.A.M.A. Sluysmans||Radboud Universiteit|
|Jacques Sluysmans||Noot bij Afdeling bestuursrechtspraak van de Raad van State van nr. 20110743/3/R3||Jurisprudentie voor gemeenten (JG), maart 2013, Nr. 2, JG 2013/02|
Pauline van Aardenne
junior associateJan Borman
senior associateRonald Olivier
Susanne van de Pest
junior associateJuliëtte de Rijk
Michelle de Rijke
Nikky van Triet
Francine van Vlijmen
paralegalRosa van der Velde
Willem Van der Werf
Marja van der Hulst
Beatrijs van Selm